Atlanta dentist Dr. Amy Mandalia offers options for the replacement of missing teeth, emphasizing the importance of addressing lost teeth promptly for the best possible results. Dental bridges are a traditional treatment option for replacing one or several lost teeth. A dental bridge can be either removable or fixed, attaching to existing natural teeth or a dental implant to restore a functional smile:
- Removable Dental Bridge – A removable dental bridge is typically reserved as a short term solution for missing teeth because it does not offer good long term benefits and frequently requires replacement or repair.
- Fixed Dental Bridge – In a fixed dental bridge, a prosthetic tooth is connected to two dental crowns which cover the teeth on either side of the gap. This treatment option requires the adjacent teeth to be reduced to accommodate the crown as a foundation for the bridgework. This may not be an issue if the neighboring teeth already have dental crowns or large dental fillings. However, if the teeth are in good health, a dental bridge could put unneeded stress on the teeth, making them likely to need more dental work in the future.
Dental Bridge vs Dental Implants: What To Consider
When it comes to making the right choice for replacing missing teeth, there are more available options today than ever before. Implant dentistry now offers patients the ability to replace missing teeth and permanently secure dentures with a natural looking and functioning prosthetic tooth that offers several key benefits for lasting dental health:
- Bone retention: the tiny implanted titanium post will help to stimulate bone growth and reduce jaw shrinkage that can occur as a result of tooth loss
- Secure and comfortable fit: the use of dental implants means that your restoration is permanent and will not slip or fall out when eating or speaking
- Supports a healthy diet: dental implants enable patients to eat a wide variety of food without restriction for better overall health through good nutrition
Dental Bridges: What To Expect
Dr. Mandalia will thoroughly evaluate and examine your dental health to determine if a dental bridge is the appropriate option for replacing your missing teeth.
Tooth replacement procedures will all involve several trips to the dentist for treatment planning and impressions, tooth preparation and final restoration of your appliance or implant. Dr. Mandalia will go over all aspects of your treatment, including associated costs and expected outcome, prior to your initial procedure appointment. The goal of tooth replacement is to restore both oral health and your daily quality of life through treatment that is best suited to your dental health, personal goals and budget.