Buckhead family dentist Dr. Deborah King offers comprehensive dental services, including periodontal therapy to address gum disease and restore your oral health. Healthy gums support healthy teeth and a beautiful, functional smile.
Gum disease affects over 75% of the population and is a leading cause of tooth loss among adult patients today. The key to quick and successful treatment of gum disease is early detection through routine dental care. During your routine preventive dental care visits with Dr. King, she and her staff perform a thorough exam which includes screening for dental concerns such as periodontal disease.
Gum Disease: Signs & Symptoms
Gum disease is often called the “silent disease” because many patients do not realize they have it until it has advanced and begun to affect daily life. There are several common signs and symptoms of gum disease that should be addressed as soon as possible to avoid complex problems such as tooth loss:
- Red, swollen gums
- Bleeding gums
- Receding gums or pockets developing along the gum line
- Loose or shifting teeth
- Persistent bad breath (halitosis)
Stages of Gum Disease
Identifying and treating gum disease in the early stage is the key to avoiding dental problems that may require extensive treatment. Routine preventive care provides the opportunity for Dr. King and her staff to screen for early warning signs of gum disease and make personalized recommendations for treatment and oral hygiene.
- Gingivitis: the early stage of gum disease, gingivitis is characterized by irritated, red or bleeding gums
- Periodontitis: advanced gum disease, receding gums and changes in the teeth indicate periodontitis
Periodontal Therapy: Treatment Options
Your periodontal therapy will depend on the stage and severity of your gum disease, focused on restoring your oral health and preventing future infection. Dr. King will thoroughly evaluate your dental health and discuss your medical history and lifestyle habits to ensure that treatment will address both the disease and the underlying cause for a lasting result.
Dr. King offers several treatment options for periodontal disease:
- Professional dental cleaning and at home oral hygiene products: for patients with mild and/or early stage gum disease, more frequent dental cleanings and the use of antibacterial rinses at home may be sufficient and restore dental health.
- Scaling and root planing: a deep cleaning process that will remove plaque built up along the gum line, tooth roots and in deep pockets of the gums.
- Specialist care and gum surgery: in advanced cases of gum disease, especially when there is damage to the gums and/or teeth, Dr. King may refer you to a local specialist for more intensive care that will restore oral health.